Thursday, September 4, 2008

Babadjou?! But I barely know you?

I think I need a shower after that joke. It’s been pretty hectic putting my house together and getting used to being completely on my own. The house is still pretty empty but I’ve been able to acquire a few things. I also talked to a volunteer who is headed home really soon and she’s going to sell me most of my stuff, so I should actually have a more-or-less fully furnished house in the next 3 weeks or so.

But aside from moving in, having my own place has really been great. The house is huge. Three bedrooms, one bathroom, one kitchen, and a giant living room. The whole thing is surrounded by 10 foot cement walls with broken glass shards at the top, so I’m pretty secure. I’ve got a little porch area, and I’ve set up a bamboo chair so I can sit out front and read. I think my favorite part of the house is the kitchen, though. It’s great to be able to cook for myself. I think I’m making rice and beans tonight. Yum.

The only real complaint I have about the place so far is that I have no water. It’s not that bad because I have a giant barrel outside that collects rain water, but if it goes a few days without raining then I have to have little kids (les petites) fetch it for you. And let me tell you, you don’t realize how much water you go through in a given day until you start having it handed to you in yellow emergency jugs by a seven year old. The dry season is gonna suuuuck.

I’ve been meeting a lot of people that live near me and a few coworkers. Everyone’s been really friendly and its made the whole transition a lot easier. Once I get better with the language and start making more friends in the area it’ll all be gravy.

Speaking of coworkers, I have no idea what’s going on with my school. They’ve told me that the class schedule should be ready by this Monday. Which is great, because then I can know what classes I’m going to be teaching. Only problem is, classes START this Monday. So yeah. Awesome. Not to mention they’ve been hounding me to teach English and Computer Sciences (in French). I kinda put my foot down and told them I’d only be teaching things that I’m trained to teach (Radical thinking, n’est-ce pas?) We’ll see how that works out.

Anyway what’s new with everyone back home? Grad-schools and such are starting so let me know. Also send me books. I’ve been reading like a fiend lately (as there’s not much to do here until school starts) and I’m running out of stuff to read.

I’ll post again next weekend after my first week of actual teaching. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

aunt debbie and kids said...

Hey Jim, My first day of school was hot at hell and full of sweaty and smelly 6th graders.....sounds like fun?? Who says we don't earn our pay!!
Hope you get to teach something more than English.
That reminds me of one year I went in 3 days before school thinking I'm going to teach Math and English.....they changed it on me and everyone in charge thought someone else had informed me about the switch !! needless to say I had to gear up in three days to teach SS and English instead. Keeps us on our toes and ready for anything!!! You'll look back and laugh someday!!!
Have a great first day!!
Love, Aunt Debbie

knight490 said...

what is your blasted address?

cmox said...

Hey Jim --

I have some books to send you. I'll get them to your mom as I'm sure she's sending stuff on a regular basis. Good luck w/ teaching. Love you. Oh, in case you're interested Tom Brady is out for the season. Blew out his Knee and needs surgery. xoxo Crissy

knight490 said...

get excited about liverpool-man u on saturday...no cristiano, no stevie g, no fernando torres...takes a lot of the fun out of it, huh?

knight490 said...

well, maybe there was some fun in it after all...

Dad said...

Hey

Dad said...

Hey Jim,

Didn't get a chance to talk with you this weekend due too the lousy phone service, but Mom and I spent the weekend buying new recording equipment and rewiring the house to bring you the best in Giant,Tar Heel and other Network programming.

Being the techno geniuses we are, I'm sure you can imagine how that all went - ahh Satuday's mornings at the Browning's East!! Needless to say getting back to work on Monday is looking really good!! But I got it working - don't listen to your mother she will say she did - but you and I know better..LOL

Well Giants are playing really good and Eli's looking like a champ...Shockey & Saints 1-2 oh well. Tarheel football starting to get interesting, although they came up short this weekend.

Glad to hear things are going well, and I look forward to speaking with you soon. Will be visiting Jessi next weekend at Udel and working on getting tickets for the football game - the Fighting Blue Hens sell out every game - what the heck!!

Anyway, stay out of trouble and be well.

Love Dad