Wednesday, September 17, 2008

14 weeks down, only 90 to go!

My house is finally a house! Sorta. I’ve got my living room set all moved in. Couch, four arm chairs, nice coffee table, and that’s in addition to the bamboo couch and arm chairs that I already have. When you walk into my front door, it actually looks like a living room. It’s fantastic.

The past week or two have been pretty stressful. I haven’t really started teaching, because everything is still getting rolling at my school. When they say that September 8th is the first day of school, they really mean that is the first day that school starts setting up. I have my schedule (more or less) ironed out, but I am still waiting on textbooks. Its really hard to teach a class I have no training in (like Physics) without a textbook. Hopefully that will all be worked out by this coming Monday, however.

Life in Babadjou has been really great. It’s gotten on my nerves a little bit standing out as much as I do. Anytime I do anything I’m getting gawked at and laughed at on occasion. It wasn’t as bad in Bangangte because I was with so many other volunteers, so it never really bothered me. It’s a little bit worse when you’re by yourself. That’s not to say I’m not having fun though, I am. Most of my coworkers are very friendly and so is the owner of a bar in the market. He’s a really nice guy and his place has the coldest beer I’ve had since leaving the States.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately, and I’m about halfway through a non-fiction book called Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond. It’s about how different societies came to be more powerful than others. It won the Pulitzer and it’s really interesting. I’ll put up a mini-review when I finish it.
It’s nice to see the Tar Heels and the Giants both come out of the gates firing on all cylinders, since the Yankees are not going to make the playoffs. But I guess if they have to miss the postseason, I’m glad its when I’m out of the country. Justin Tuck is one of the top 3 defenders in the league right now. Argue all you want, its science.

I also wanna say thanks to my buddies who are sending me some packages (Billy, PG, Ky). The books and hot sauce are going to come in very handy. Thanks again.

Jessi – I hope your first year at Delaware is going well and that you’re making a lot of friends. Next summer is not so far away, Europe here we come! Love you kid

6 comments:

Uncle John said...

Hey Jim that sounds like my mortgage.One down three hundred fifty nine to go.Keep making us proud,talk to you soon.

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

jessi said...

hey jimm :) thanks for my little message :) UD is great. I love you and miss you!!

aunt debbie and kids said...

Hey Jim, read that book Guns, germs, steel... then saw the documentary and had to show 1/2 of it to my students. Thought is was so well done...not sure you have a DVD player or can get your hands on the DVD, but it would be worth the watch!! Glad all is going well..we miss you, love Aunt Debbie

dabjrb said...

Hi honey, Your Dad wanted to leave a response to this post and also tell you some tall tales, but the silly guy responded to the previous post!!!

Well this weekend was a typical Browning one, we had projects to do and in our typical fashion we finished about half of them(your fathers language on Saturday was awful!)

We purchased 2 dvd recorders until "I" figured out how to work 1 and we returned the other. I successfully recorded the Giant game for you. I will continue recording Giant, UNC and other games you may want to watch. Also I will send you some T.V. programs.

I am so happy your home is coming together, I would love to be there to help you.

I love and miss you MOM

Nathan said...

Dude, you are awesome. I have absolutely not a single plan starting in December, so maybe I'll work a bit, get a little money, and hop on over to hang out and cruise around? I really hope everything's going great. Sucks that you miss me gawking and laughing at you though, and that Cameroonians are lousy stand-ins. Miss you bud.